AirSpace Gallery announces the return of its Graduate Residency Programme and invites students graduating from BA Fine Art courses in summer 2018 to apply. The Programme is designed specifically to help new graduates bridge the gap between full-time education and a career in the arts.
Each year, AirSpace Gallery’s Graduate Residency Programme offers two new graduates a fantastic opportunity to be part of an exciting and innovative artist-led space in Stoke-on-Trent, providing 6 months free studio space, ongoing professional development support, mentoring and guidance from Gallery directors and professional artists, and an end-of-residency solo exhibition.
Launched in 2012, the Graduate Residency is now into its 7th year, with 12 alumni residents. Our role call of professional mentors includes
Doyle & Mallinson,
Jost Muenster and more.
We can point to direct benefits arising from the Residency. More than three quarters of the Graduate Residency Alumni are still working as artists and maintaining successful practices and emanating from their activity with us, residents have gone on to exhibitions and residencies with nationally renowned organisations, have significantly enhanced their professional networks, gained places on esteemed MA courses, both conventional and independent and gained studio spaces with great studio groups around the country.
Who can apply:
Any fine art or related practitioner graduating from a UK BA course in the Summer of 2018
What we offer:
• A rent free studio space, including 24 hour access and free wifi and utilities at AirSpace Gallery for 6 months from August 2018 - January/February 2019.
• Monthly support meetings and professional development support, with gallery directors and professional artists to offer invaluable guidance and insight, to help in tracking the residency progress and developing new works and accessing opportunities.
• Access to all studio facilities and support structures for 6 months, and an option to get involved in the AirSpace Gallery project
• An interim exhibition in the Gallery Window Space or Gallery Resource Room.
• A solo exhibition, with professional curatorial support, at the end of the 6 months period at AirSpace Gallery.
How to apply:
Please submit in a single PDF -
• Confirmation of your course and University
• A proposal for your residency at AirSpace, including how you would approach the 6 months residency in terms of research and development towards your solo show (max 1000 words)
• an artist statement and details about your current work - please state when you graduated and from which institution (max 300 words)
• weblinks and upto 5 images relevant to your current practice.
• an assessment of why you are right for this opportunity
• ideas for your involvement with the gallery and studio group.
Proposals should be in a single PDF and emailed to email@example.com with “graduate residency” in the subject line by 5pm, Sunday, June 24th, 2018
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to AirSpace Gallery to present their proposals in person in the week beginning 9th July, 2018.
Successful applicants will be notified by Monday 16th July, 2018.
Residencies for successful candidates will begin on Friday August 17th, 2018.
Please feel free to get in touch with any questions, or for more information, go to www.airspacegallery.org for details about the residency, the gallery and studios.